Saturday, December 17, 2011

DEVOTION TO THE INFANT JESUS


Devotion to the Infancy of Jesus has been cultivated in the Order of Carmel and gained more prominence since St. Teresa of Avila established the Reform. There is a story in the Order of Teresa  having a vision of the Child Jesus. She met a little boy in the cloister and the boy asked her: "Who are you?" Teresa answered, "I am Teresa of Jesus." And she in turn asked him, "And who are you?" The child answered, "I am Jesus of Teresa."
Devotion to the Infant of Prague began in the Monastery of the Discalced Carmelite Fathers of Prague about the year 1628. The religious of the monastery received the gift of the statue from Princess Polixena. In the year 1631, when Prague fell to the hands of the enemies of the Church, the Holy Infant was thrown into a heap of garbage only to be found by Fr. Cyril The image had broken hands. One day, the image spoke to Fr. Cyril with these words: "Have pity on Me and I will have pity on you; restore My hands and I will give you peace; the more you honor Me, the more I will bless you."

St. Therese took her religious name in honor of the Child Jesus and made it her mission the Spiritual Childhood.

The Chaplet of the Infant Jesus can be recited as a form of devotion to the Little King. It is available in any religious store.

The Method of praying the Chaplet:

Invocation recited on the Medal:

"Divine Infant Jesus, I adore thy Cross, and I accept all crosses thou will be pleased to send me. Adorable Trinity, I offer thee, for the glory of the Holy Name of God, all the adoration of the Sacred Heart of the Holy Infant Jesus."

On each of the three following beads is said:
"And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us" and the "Hail Mary" in honor of the 12 years of Our Lord's Infancy.

Then the Glory Be and the invocation "Holy Infant Jesus, bless and protect us."
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment